What’s the thing you most want to achieve next year? How do you imagine you’ll feel when you get it? Free? Happy? Complete? Blissful? Write that feeling down. Then, brainstorm 10 things you can do, or 10 new thoughts you can think, in order to experience that feeling today.
The thing I most want to be next year is, really, happy. I don’t mean this as a cop out: I have plenty of concrete things I want, too, but the end goal of all of them is to make me happier.
One of the things I’m especially interested in this year is cultivating my long-term, baseline happiness. Things that will help with that:
- Moving my body
- Getting enough sleep
- Sticking with my practice
- Eating foods that are tasty and nourishing
- Drinking plenty of water
Other things that I can do that will cultivate my happiness:
- Taking (and scheduling!) as much downtime as I need
- Reminding myself that happiness is not a scarce commodity
- Snuggling my extremely silly and very adorable kittens
- Seeing friends I adore
- Leaning in to the gratitude I feel for the simple, every day facts of my life: I live in a lovely home in a beautiful place; I have family and friends and teachers that I love; I am healthy; I have lots of choices and opportunities in my life
How about you?