1. A desk that lives in a box The content of my desk drawers have been sitting in a box on my floor for months and months now. I can unpack the box into the drawers and put away the box, and gain both a more usable desk and fewer things to trip over on my floor.
2. Sleep deprivation I don’t know if I can totally eliminate this, but I’m going to continue to work on my goal of getting in to bed by 9:30 pm on weeknights. When I get enough sleep, everything is better.
3. Baggage from my past This is another one that’s nearly impossible to eliminate completely, but I’m committed through my practice to questioning and changing beliefs and stories built from my past that cause me pain or help me stay stuck.
4. Piles of to-be-handled mail and filing For the filing, I could find another stand-up 12-month file like the one I destroyed. Then I would have a place to put the mail. That would make my mail, my filing, and my desk all better places.
5. Ongoing muscle pain I’ve started having this symptom in the last several months, and it is not awesome. I can try staying away from the foods I know I’m sensitive to for several weeks, set a reminder on my computer to get up and move around, and experiment with how exercise impacts the pain. No pain = awesome.
6. Moving houses My plan right now is not to move until at least spring 2012. I am pretty much ecstatic about this.
7. Cold toes I have them all the time. I could buy at least one more set of slippers, and possibly some more warm socks. I could also deploy the ones I have more frequently. Cold toes are disproportionately uncomfortable for me, so I expect this to be a big win for relatively little hassle.
8. Wet toes Good thing I am getting the best rainboots ever for winter holidays!
9. Drama Another one I’m not sure I can entirely contain, but I can work on it by trying to take a pause when things seem rough, listening, practicing NVC, and taking responsibility for my stuff as best I can! Drama takes my focus away from doing my things, and I love doing my things, so having less will make me happy two ways: not having drama and having time to do my thing.
10. Sugary breakfasts I don’t enjoy In general, my day goes much better if I have some protein for breakfast. That said, some days a scone is just the thing I want, and that seems okay to me too. What I could do without is the times when a sweet treat becomes my breakfast because I haven’t figured out something better to eat. I can stock my freezer with backup options, and make my own smoothies or yogurts or breakfast quesadillas as often as possible so that I always have options, and then I will have fewer days where my energy levels fluctuate wildly.
11. Lost keys I could put my keys on my key hook all the time, and then I wouldn’t have to wonder where they are. It would be an excellent habit that would save me worry!
How about you? What would you like to banish for the coming year?